Lord of the Flies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post Due Weds. 4/6

+8
StinkySplank
School25
vonderhaar
Anonymous123
abc
doorknob
Soccer
Admin
12 posters

Go down

Post Due Weds. 4/6 Empty Post Due Weds. 4/6

Post by Admin Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:09 am

-

“Maybe…maybe there is a beast…maybe it’s only us….”
– Simon, Lord of the Flies, Chapter 5, Page 80

Summary: In Chapters 4 and 5, we see Jack go off the deep end. The boys kill a pig and suddenly they don’t seem like innocent little boys anymore. They almost get rescued, but then they don’t. Ralph’s leadership is challenged. Piggy is still getting bullied. There might be a beast, and it comes out of the water?
Or is the beast in all of us?

In your first post, please answer and discuss the following prompt:

Here is a quote to start us off: “Simon became inarticulate in his effort to express mankind’s essential illness.” (P. 80)

Like a Star @ heaven  Recall how the boys acted when they first arrived on the island. How has the boys’ behavior on the island changed since they’ve been on the island, and how do they act now? Is there a word to describe the new “behavior”? Why do you think they have changed? Does the change only have to do with what Simon calls “mankind’s essential illness”, or do you think it is purely outside factors that have caused the boys to start acting this way? Finally, how come some of them are changing while others not so much?

Again, remember to use specific examples and quotes from the book. The posts are graded out of 25 points.

Also, don’t forget to reply to your classmates! Check in every once in a while to see if someone has responded to your posts.

Everything is due by 6:30 AM.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

https://melrose2016.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post Due Weds. 4/6 Empty Re: Post Due Weds. 4/6

Post by Soccer Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:33 pm

Their behavior changes from calm in the beginning to tense and angry. Like when the all find each other the yare all confused and just happy and calm now that they have found each other. But as the days go on more people are turning on each other and getting mad at each other for the decisions they are making. Like Jack being so caught up in catching on pig that je forgets to keep the fire going, and a ship happens to go by and there is no fore burning to create smoke for a signal, now they are tuck on this island longer.

Soccer

Back to top Go down

Post by doorknob Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:47 pm

The boys first acted calm and collected at the beginning and they all thought they knew what they were doing and could handle it. Theyre new behavior can be described as tense and cooped up. They act very very hostile to eachother and dont listen to each other. I think they have changed because they are started to get more worried and sick of each other and want it to be their way or no way. I dont think the change has to do with only what Simon says and i think the outside factors also helped as well. Some are still the same such as Jack hes still controlling and selfish but all the others are showing how stress they are and how they are slowly changing.

doorknob

Back to top Go down

Post by abc Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:47 pm

When the boys first arrived on the island, they were very hopeful and thought they would be able to survive and wait for rescue by assigning jobs and keeping organized. The boys behavior has changed to stressed and somber. In this quote, Ralph recollects how the boys were in the beginning. "'Things are breaking up. I don't understand why. We began well; we were happy'" (p. 82). The boys have changed because they faced reality and understood how hard it was to maintain a good civilization with everybody following their jobs. The change doesn't only have to do with Simon's ideas, but also with many contributing factors from the "outside". Some factors include, being frightened by the beast and by people following their own rules instead of obeying the chief. Some boys have changed while others have not. Jack has changed because he started doing his own thing and by trying to prove himself to others, including killing the pig. Ralph has changed by becoming more serious and showing more leadership qualities such as attempting to host a serious assembly. These changes are caused because these characters are looked up to by the other characters and feel the pressure to keep everyone together.

abc

Back to top Go down

Post by Anonymous123 Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:08 pm

In the beggining of the book most of the people were probably just in confused so they weren't all freaking out. Now you can tell people are getting mad at each other and not getting along like they should. Everyone is disagreeing with each other on what decisions they should make. People are doing things they wouldn't normally do in their regular life, to survive. Ralph is starting to become a better leader he is starting to realize what he needs to do for everyone. The beast that they speak of is probably within them they are wrapped up in what is bad and not trying to fix it.

Anonymous123

Back to top Go down

Post by vonderhaar Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:03 pm

The boys behaviors in the book change throughout the book. The boys all start out just graceful and happy that they are all together and believe that it will not be long before they are all rescued. They eventually become more hostile to each other and the boys system they have starts to break down. Jack becomes increasingly more violent and abusive, especially towards Piggy, although Piggy is being more helpful. The boys seem to be falling under large amounts of stress, as now some of them seem to believe that being rescued has little chance to occur. I believe the beast is just a psychological effect happening on the littluns, as most of them are young and have not been exposed to a situation like this.

vonderhaar

Back to top Go down

Post by School25 Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:35 pm

Vonderhaar, i agree with yoir response. You're point on how the boys were calm when they first got on the island made sense, and I agree with your ideas.

School25

Back to top Go down

Post by School25 Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:42 pm

In the beginning of the story, it starts out as a normal situation, boys stranded on an island. The boys hope for a quick rescue, but it does not turn out that way. Jack comes up with an idea to try to signal for help by creating a fire on a mountain, but instead of getting help, they lose one of their kids. As the story goes on they notice the reality of the situation, and begin to think they will not be saved anytime soon. The boys are doing crazy things that is not going to help them. Jack is getting crazier by the day, and the kids look up to him. They are not in a good situation.

School25

Back to top Go down

Post Due Weds. 4/6 Empty The beast Inside

Post by StinkySplank Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:46 pm

When the boys first got to the island they were all good to each other. Everyone was being nice and calm about everything. They chose Ralph to be the leader and they were listening to what he had to say and what he was telling them to do. As time passed they boys began to turn on each other and stopped listening and started getting annoying. Its like a virus/Illness, it spreads out fast and really easy. Jack is becoming a mean and bad character (rebel). He bullies Piggy and he cant defend himself. I think the beast is inside the people. It is getting stronger and it will soon come out, especially for Jack. Ralph has been getting more serious and showing that he is the leader/chief and that the boys should listen to him. Ralph has changed in a good way, showing more leader skills. Jack became a bully and a mean guy, which means he changed in a bad way. Piggy and Simon have always been the same and they are pretty wise.

StinkySplank

Back to top Go down

Post by StinkySplank Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:52 pm

abc I agree with your response about how they kids changed and how they are not following some of the rules that Ralph created even though they chose him to be the leader.

StinkySplank

Back to top Go down

Post by Trump2020 Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:47 pm

When everyone on the island first got there and met each other, different boys tried to become the leader but in the end of the dispute it was Ralph. Ralph gives tolerable rules that anyone with commonsense would agree with. But, it is people like Jack and his choir friends that influence children to rebel. Not only is jack a rebel but he uses excuses such as hunting to get out of building huts and this leads to Ralph later being upset because no real shelter situation has been resolved. Is what happening to them a metaphorical beast? I don't think so. I would say it is human nature getting the best of these young boys.

Trump2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Trump2020 Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:52 pm

doorknob, I like how you said the boys first acted calm and collected but their coolness festered into them being sick of each other. Also in my own response I did not note outside factors but you intelligently incorporated that into yours. Solid response Smile

Trump2020

Back to top Go down

Post Due Weds. 4/6 Empty Maturing

Post by DoughnutHole Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:57 pm

Throughout the whole of the beginning of the book we can see the kids maturing and some taking needed control. The kids killing the pig signifies they know what they have to do to survive. But some people are not pulling their weight and seem to be letting everyone else do all of the heavy lifting. We see Ralph try to maintain control of everyone and sometimes struggling to do so, and now with the threat of some montrous beast we now have no clue of what lies ahead.

DoughnutHole

Back to top Go down

Post by OG_MUDDY Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:09 pm

At the beginning of the book the boys seemed like they were gonna survive very easily. they were very calm and thought they could survive easy. It didn't turn out that way the boys had to mature fast and take care of their responsibilities on the island. Some of the boys are considered leaders and have more responsibilities this changes the way they act because other people expect them to get things done. I think their behavior changed fast as soon as they didn't feel comfortable with the way it was going. A huge problem the boys faced was the food some boys had to learn how to hunt in different ways and corrected themselves based on each other past experience and knowledge.These are some of the ways the boys moods changed so fast on the island that I can see

OG_MUDDY

Back to top Go down

Post by OG_MUDDY Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:13 pm

DoughtnutHole I agree with your response.You said some kids had to pull more weight than others and I believe that made some kids have to mature fast and change attitude completely.

OG_MUDDY

Back to top Go down

Post Due Weds. 4/6 Empty Lotf

Post by schoolisfun Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:39 am

The boys in the island went from being calm and as they stay longer in the island they become more insane when everyone finds eachother they go to hunt for a pig and they only end up killing one wen they are all together they all become more sane and they kind of know what to do like jack he made a fire and used it so he could cook food but also to set a signal so that someone could find them in the island

schoolisfun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down