Post Due Fri. 4/14

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post Due Fri. 4/14

Post by Admin on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:52 am

Prompt for Chapter 12 of Lord of the Flies
Due: Friday, April 15th

Many critics of Lord of the Flies have interpreted the events that happen on the island to be a microcosm of the actual world. Please answer the following questions:

1. What is a microcosm?
2. In what ways do you see the island (from the society that the boys have created, to the events that happen, to the way the boys interact with each other, etc.) as a microcosm of our real world? Really think through all the aspects of this story and try to interpret this story in as many ways possible.
3. Do you think that this interpretation is accurate? In other words, do you think the things that happen on the island are true to what you see happen in real life? If yes, why? If not, why not? Don’t forget to think about the symbols and themes, and not just what literally happened!

As usual, don’t forget to use quotes and examples from the text and please reply to one another! If you’re looking for the best grade, be specific and show that you are thinking critically about the novel!

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://melrose2016.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Post Due Fri. 4/14

Post by Oversized Train on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:58 pm

A microcosm is a community, place or situation regarded as encapsulating in miniature the characteristic qualities or features of something much larger. The boys are trapped into a smaller world where they are in control as kids. I think this is comparing them to adults and how different the two react.

" Aren't there any grownups?"
" No". (18)
This quote shows that even as young boys they have to lead themselves on an island by themselves. I also think that their immaturity and lack of knowledge led to deaths and fighting. Some of them realized they should have had a fire, but not them all. Also some went hunting while others got food and made shelter. I do think this relates to real life, because adults affect how we live. Also like the book, not every person will go to one side and some will go against it. Adults can also give poor leadership that leads to chaos, similar to the book. Finally I think the boys are forced into this situation similar to adults needing to make important choices.

Oversized Train

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wall9656 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:00 pm

A microcosm is a community or place or situation. They are in a small island in a tight space with a lot of people. They used all those people to get a lot of things done at the same time some people went out to hunt (find food) some people went to build a fire so they can stay warm and others went to build shelter at the beginning and find the safest place for them to stay on the island. Also they had some people exploring the island to find other things. Even though they were young kids sometimes they knew what they were doing and other times they didn't. And also some people didn't agree with the terms at times and others agreed.

wall9656

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LORDOFLIES on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:08 pm

A microcosm is when something is a smaller represention of something larger. The reasont that the island is scene as an microcosm is because it has all pf the aspects of society. For example Piggy stands for intellogence and Science, Ralph stands for power and athority. Jack is a little more tricky to pinpoint what the author was trying to say with him. He could be describing human nature or anarky and savagrism. I believe that this is an acurate representation of the world. For expale when power or authority is lost anrky starts to set in. Like when a goverment falls and caos insues. (When konk is destoryed Ralph loses leadership jack steps in and takes control. And as said earlyer jack might stand for anarky and caos.)

LORDOFLIES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piggy is my hero on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:08 pm

1. A microcosm is a community which is smaller compared to a whole.
2.This is a microcosm to our real worlds they vote for leaders, assign jobs based on skill, discuss topics, fight and build shelter as well hunt. Evidence is when Roger says "Vote for chief!". This is like when people elect their leader and share their opinion. Also when Ralph makes Jack the head because he believes that he is qualified and as well the hunters. An example of fighting is when Jacks tribe attacks Ralphs tribe.
3. No I do not think that these things could happen. First of all because they would not send a bunch of kids on a plane with ONE adult. Also they would have died as there was no clear landing space so they would have crashed into the trees. Also 12 year olds could not build a society and survive and think about all of this. Also kids don't take orders good especially not from other kids. pigpigpigpigpig

Piggy 2016 "Pig we Can"
Piggy is my hero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyDufresneCrawledThru on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:52 pm

1.A microcosm is anything that is regarded as a miniature of what it represents.  

2.The island represents a microcosm of our real world in many ways.
a)"Sucks to your ass-mar!"- Ralph, Chapter 1, Page 10
can be interpreted as a prominent lifestyle in the real world where people only care for themselves and disregard other people's woes like how Ralph and everybody else in most of the book care nothing about Piggy and the fact that he doesn't fit in with the rest of the group.

b)"And you shut up! Who are you, anyway? Sitting there telling people what to do. You can't hunt , you can't sing-"
"I'm chief. I was chosen."
"Why should choosing make any difference? Just giving orders that don't make any sense-"-Jack and Ralph
represents the power struggle in the real world of politics that can be hinted at by Jack and Ralph's battle between elected leader and a dictator(Jack) and the unjust victims that will always result cause of this feud at the end of every violent power struggle.

3.I believe this interpretation is accurate because real life has always been full of a disregard to other people's problems and power struggles that have been the cause of every war in history including the one that Lord of the Flies is supposed to be in the timeline of (World War II) and that Jack and Roger are the British Hitler and Himmler of the island as they take power from Ralph who has been given it while making an example of Piggy who is someone considered inferior or a good scapegoat like the Jewish with everybody else watching but not acting like in the real Holocaust.

R.I.P
Piggy, the only shred of intelligence on the island of Jack and his savages
AndyDufresneCrawledThru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top